Sunday, September 13, 2009

progress

A few days ago I took one of my kids to the doctor. We arrived at exactly 9am, the appointment time. We waited and waited. Finally I started realizing every single person in the waiting room, who arrived well after us, was being called back. My frustration was rising. Had the front desk woman put the charts in the wrong order- taking others before us? Was I waiting for people who were just now showing up for their earlier appointment? But with a serious effort to really soften my quills, I calmly made my way to the front desk. The random thought came to my mind to ask the receptionist if we were early for the appointment.
To which she replied, "actually, yes... you are 40 minutes early."I couldn't believe I had messed that up. It was my fault. And how relieved I was that I hadn't stormed up to the counter demanding an explanation for being overlooked.
I'm slowly climbing my way down the uptight ladder I've been on for over a decade-
and it feels really good.

2 comments:

  1. I am so very very very proud of you. I would have gotten all huffy and puffy and tried to blow their office down after sitting forever. I will think of your story next time it happens to me! And I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete