Friday, September 25, 2009

challenge #2: chat

I used to take the time to chat with strangers.
The clerk, someone behind me in line, another mom at the park or acquaintances at church.
I don't really do that anymore.
In fact, I take precautions to avoid small talk. I guess I justify it because my life is busy with a big family and most the time I'm tired and I just want to be quiet. However, at the end of the day I have lost out on moments to have necessary human interaction ... conversation.
Now this wouldn't be any big deal if I kept to myself now and then(we all need quiet right?) It's when, like for me, you've been enjoying quiet for so long... you no longer desire/know how/feel comfortable to spontaneously engage with others. I know I have missed opportunities to make friendships, learn something new, or give/receive kindness.
Challenge this week: chatting.
I will ask questions or make comments to at least one new person each day, being genuine of course.
I'm interested to see what this challenge will bring.
Will you do it with me?

2 comments:

  1. Almost started a conversation in Wally World yesterday, but then didn't...why are we so reluctant to do this?

    ReplyDelete