Wednesday, September 16, 2009

laundry

Yesterday a friend came over. I knew she was coming but I was not expecting her to stay and visit, otherwise I might've spruced a little, but again with my efforts to loosen up I decided to welcome her into my mess. Just some of the mess was laundry all about. Thankfully clean. As we entered my volcanic eruption of a family room, I digressed by apologizing (trying not to do that) but sweetly, the first words out of her mouth were "would you like me to help fold your laundry?" I loved that. I did not take her up on it (mostly because I am a strict mom who makes her kids fold their own basket of clothes) but the offer caused me to ponder, would I have thought to offer the same to someone else? It's not that I wouldn't fold someone's laundry, it's more would I have thought to ask? I know I would've thought to ask before I went crazy with 5 kids and life... but I guess what I'm saying is I don't want kids and life to be my blinders. I want to still be able to see outside my own box into the boxes of others.
So, another goal: be more aware.

3 comments:

  1. Our brains are synching.....I WAS JUST THINKING ALONG THESE SAME LINES EARLIER THIS WEEK.....THAT I NEED TO BE MORE AWARE AND OFFER HELP AND SUCH....because I am so wrapped up in my own life that I think most of the time I don't even SEE others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto. And I don't even have the excuse of being crazy w/ 5 kids-do dogs count? I love this-and have been trying to work on this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. feeling like a jerk here...when I was over the other day, I thought, "I should ask if I can take a basket and fold while I watch" - then I didn't. I don't know why I didn't - being distracted by Oprah, Freddy, conversation....Lesson learned. "NEVER supress a generous thought" Never again.

    ReplyDelete