Thursday, September 10, 2009

de-prickling

Last night while spooning the nest of pillows I construct for myself every night, I could hear Capt. Butler in the bathroom washing his face. Sloshing and slapping the watery soap all over himself, the mirror, the counter top, and the floor... none of which had properly made it into the sink. Just as I could feel my quills start to prickle, I took a deep breath. Normally, I might yell, "hey! calm down in there" or "clean up the flood before you come to bed"... not this time, instead I kept spooning. I was so comfortable in fact that I was nearly asleep before he made it to the bed. Then. My mind went straight to what I knew was coming. Wet hands and wet whiskers, with the inevitable soap residue. Have you ever had cold wet, soapy whiskers scratch along your jaw? I'm just saying. Before he could even put his head to the pillow-- or even think about rolling over to me, I let out the word... "ew". And then I caught myself again. This man hadn't even touched me yet, hadn't even had a chance to get comfy in his little nest he makes for himself... and I'm already ewing.
"what?" he asks.
"um nothing" I say,
because I am de-prickling. One quill at a time.

3 comments:

  1. HA! Oh, Scarlett...yeah, I know what you mean. I remember sometimes there were things about my "John Smith" (think about it, it's a perfect analogy from the New World) that I remember prickling over. But, I commend you for your efforts to put these things aside and "de-prickle". I think it's easy to get ourselves all worked up over little things that don't really matter-and that become our main focus...so good job you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you how hard I am laughing and peeing in my pants! I think ALL of us Scarletts out there can TOTALLY relate! I LOVE that you posted this....and I LOVE that you used the word spooning...not once...but twice I believe! I wish you could see me laughing with the laptop on my legs and how its bouncing up and down while I attempt to type as I keep on giggling. I am soooo happy you have this blog...so I can hear the Scarlett I know and Love and Adore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in that exact situation more times than I'd like....you handled it much better than I do :)

    ReplyDelete