Friday, December 11, 2009

Challenge #11: get out and socialize

Well, I've been in a funk the last couple weeks.

I think it's due to the weather, homework/class projects x5, and feeling overwhelmed with all that encompasses the holidays-- my stomach turns even thinking about all that is going on.
It's just too much.
Why oh why is there SO much going on during the SAME time of year that we want to celebrate the Savior's birth? I know it's fun to have recitals and parties and baking and gift buying... but I am so, so overwhelmed with it all this year. I'm going to confess a small secret: I have not even STARTED my Christmas shopping. I can't believe I just told you that. I have five children ... and not one gift purchased. I can barely keep up with the day to day "holiday events", when is there even time to go shopping? Anyway, this slump I've been in lately has also made me a little-hermit like when it comes to socializing. I've decided it's not helping my funk. I need to get out and take my mind off of all the things that are making my head spin. I went to a cookie exchange the other night and it took everything I had to make myself go. In the end I was glad I went. I was smiling and talking and I even wore earrings- now that's saying something.
So to continue on a good path, this will be my goal for the following 2 weeks...
Get out and socialize- even when I don't feel like it.

4 comments:

  1. Let me know what help you need. Burgess is almost done with finals so my availability is clearing up. Give me your shopping list and I can help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely in the same boat! It is so hard to stay in the holiday spirit when there is SO much to do. Why does it have to be that way? I think taking a break from the craziness and socializing a bit is a great way to keep from going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've kind of decided not to shop this year--what do you think about that? What about a Christmas season where we don't spend lots of money on eachother, but think of meaninful, maybe service oriented gifts. That's kind of what I'm thinking this year. Probably wouldn't fly if I had 5 kids though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a fun Christmas this year! I agree, that it's all about one thing, yet all these "traditions" we've created tend to overwhelm our schedules. This year, we had Christmas for two days...one on actual Christmas with our family, and then the day after with the Dave's side. I have to admit, it was nice to spread things out and let it last a little longer. All that hullaballoo should allow you to enjoy it for more than just a day. Too bad this can't happen every year.

    ReplyDelete